2018 Biennial Conference of FERMA
The planning committee for the 2018 Family Economics and Resource Management Association seeks submissions for presentations at the 2018 FERMA Conference scheduled for May 15 – 17, 2018 in Clearwater Beach, Florida.
Submissions are sought in the following forms: refereed papers, educational resource exchanges, and symposia/workshops. FERMA submissions should cover the areas of family economics, housing, family resource management, consumer decision-making, consumer economics, consumer policy, personal finance, and related issues.
The FERMA conference provides a constructive environment for the development of research and education programs. Faculty and students (graduate and undergraduate) are encouraged to present work at any stage of completion, including work that may be in a relatively early stage. First-time submitters and seasoned professionals alike can expect an environment supportive of their work. The deadline for all submissions is midnight December 1, 2017.
Refereed Papers. Research-based, conceptual, policy-oriented, or educational papers are requested for presentation by the author(s) at the conference. Submissions should include the title, a short abstract (150 words or less), the purpose, a literature review, theoretical or conceptual framework, overview of methods, findings and conclusions, implications, and recommendations.
Educational Program Resource Exchanges. Proposals describing educational programs are requested for presentation at the conference. Presentations may cover program design and evaluation, educational materials, teaching approaches, or related educational efforts. Proposals should include a title, a short abstract (150 words or less for inclusion in the conference program), the purpose of the work (target audience and desired outcomes), an overview of the work (what was done and how), and the impact/results.
Symposia/Workshops. Symposia are organized discussions by widely recognized experts on specific topics. The organizer of the symposium will chair the session and set the agenda. A panel discussion or series of paper presentations should lead to joint conclusions and implications for policy, research, or instruction. A workshop is a training session in which participants will develop specific skills related to policy, research, and/or instruction. Submissions should include a title, a short abstract (150 words or less) for inclusion in the conference program and proceedings, the objectives of the session, evidence of widely recognized expertise, an overview of the content, and the benefit to FERMA members who participate in the session.
Conference Program and Proceedings. If accepted, the short abstract will be published in the conference program. The electronic conference proceedings will include short or expanded abstracts for all presenters and papers from authors not interested in pursuing the refereed e-journal publication opportunity in the Special Issue of The Forum for Family and Consumer Issues.
General Submission Guidelines
- At least one of the authors of each submission must agree to register, attend, and present at the 2018 FERMA conference, May 15 – 17, 2018.
- Individuals are limited to two submissions/presentations as lead author, however they are not limited in the number of times they may submit or present as co-author of presentations.
- You MUST use the 2018-FERMA-Proposal-Cover-Sheet for each submission (download to use as an interactive PDF form). Name the PDF cover sheet with the last name of the primary contact (i.e. Gillen.pdf). For multiple submissions, add a number to each file name (i.e. Gillen1.pdf and Gillen2.pdf).
- An MS Word document with the same file name (with the extension .doc or docx) should accompany each PDF cover sheet.
- The title of the submission should appear on the top of the first page of this document and should contain either an extended abstract (2 to 5 pages) or a complete paper (up to 30 pages). Please note: other than the file name, the document should NOT include personally identifying information.
- The MS Word file should be formatted on 8 ½ x 11-inch paper with 1-inch top, bottom and side margins, double-spaced in 12 pt Times New Roman font, and prepared according to the most recent APA Guidelines.
- Except for symposia and workshop proposals, all submissions are blind peer reviewed. Evaluation criteria for refereed papers are clarity of purpose, significance of purpose and background, appropriateness of data and methods, and importance of implications for family or consumer economic well-being. Evaluation criteria for educational program resource exchange, symposia and workshop submissions are clarity of purpose, timeliness of topic, evidence of appropriate expertise, originality/creativity, interest to membership, and benefit to the profession.
- For each submission, send an e-mail message with the PDF cover sheet and MS Word file attached to email@example.com. Authors may e-mail submissions at any time prior to the deadline.
- Upon acceptance, authors will receive further instructions on preparing PDF files for inclusion in the conference program and proceedings.
- Acceptance of submissions implies agreement by at least one author to attend the conference to present the work. The amount of time available for presentations is contingent upon the number of accepted proposals.
- Submissions will be confirmed via e-mail no later than December 15, 2017. Authors who do not receive a confirmation e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org by this date should contact Martie Gillen by e-mail (email@example.com) or telephone (352) 392-0404.
- Important dates:
- December 1, 2017 (Friday, midnight) Deadline for all submissions. Submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 5, 2018 (Friday) Authors notified of acceptance/rejection
- March 16, 2018 (Friday) Deadline for revised abstract (short or expanded) submissions for inclusion in the conference program and proceedings
- May 15 – 17, 2018 (Tuesday through Thursday) FERMA conference, Clearwater Beach, FL